Nippon Carbon, Toyama plant
Nippon Carbon, Shiga plant and Laboratory
NIPPON CARBON CO., LTD.
Our raw material and R&D base: Nippon Carbon, since its establishment in 1915, has developed a variety of products featuring carbon’s prominent attributes. The main manufacturing and sales domains are carbon fiber products used for aerospace technology and general industry, High Purity Treatment Graphite used when producing crystalline silicon, Anode Materials for Lithium Ion Battery, Silicon Carbide Continuous Fibers mainly provided for the aerospace industry, impervious graphite and chemicals used for chemical industrial devices and equipment such as heat exchangers, flexible graphite for the automobile industry, and other carbon products.
Total group headcount is roughly 600 employees. Nippon Carbon has also a unique joint venture with Nippon Steel & Sumikin Chemical: Nippon- Techno Carbon Co., Ltd. has direct access to the raw material (Binder pitch & Pitch coke) within Nippon Steel & Sumikin Metal Group.
- 1915 Nippon Carbon Co., Ltd. was established in Urashimagaoka, Kanagawa-ku, Yokohama-shi and production of natural graphite electrodes started.
- 1926 Production of artificial graphite anodes for aqueous electrolysis started.
- 1927 Nippon Carbon Co., Ltd., for the first time in Japan, succeeded in producing artificial graphite electrodes.
- 1932 Industrialization of electronic carbon brushes for electric motors began.
- 1933 Yamanashi Plant was built in order to produce graphite anodes.
- 1934 Toyama Plant was opened to produce artificial graphite electrodes for steel-making.
- 1938 Yokohama Bay-area Plant was built and mass-production of materials for high-grade carbon products such as electric carbon brushes started.
- 1949 Started producing RESBON® impervious graphite for chemical constructional material.
- 1957 Established the technology of producing nuclear grade graphite (Moderator & Reflector).
- 1962 Nippon Carbon began industrialization of carbon fiber material CARBOLON®.
- 1966 Started producing APEX SEAL for rotary engines
- 1970 Started producing high-strength and high-elasticity carbon fiber CARBOLON-Z®
- 1974 Started producing flexible graphite sheet NICAFILM®.
- 1980 Made an entrusted development contract with Research Development Corporation of Japan to establish manufacturing technology for silicon carbide continuous fiber Nicalon™.
- 1983 Started producing isotropic graphite at Yamanashi Plant. Received authorization from Research Development Corporation of Japan for the successful development of manufacturing technology for silicon carbide continuous fiber Nicalon™.
- 1985 Awarded with the Deming Prize.
- 1986 Started fiber form activated carbon sales business.
- 1987 Shirakawa Plant started operation to produce and process high-performance sliding material SC CARBON®.
- 1992 Made an entrusted development contract with Research Development Corporation of Japan in order to research industrialized manufacturing technologies for ultra-high-heat-resistant silicon carbide continuous fiber Hi-Nicalon™ by adopting an electron beam irradiation method.
- 1993 Toyama Plant got ISO9001 certification.
- 1994 Shiga Plant (Shin Nippon Carbon) got ISO9002 certification. (Renewed to ISO9001 in 1997).
- 1995 Received authorization from Research Development Corporation of Japan for the successful development of manufacturing technology for ultra-high-heat-resistant silicon carbide continuous fiber Hi-Nicalon™.
- 1998 Yamanashi Plant obtained ISO9001 certification. Toyama Plant, Yamanashi Plant and Shiga Plant (Shin Nippon Carbon) collectively obtained ISO14001 certification.
- 1999 Merged with Shin Nippon Carbon Co., Ltd. and renamed the company to Shiga Plant.
- 2003 Established Nippon Techno-Carbon Co., Ltd. which focuses on specialty carbon products.
- 2006 Started producing 32-inch artificial graphite electrodes for DC arc furnaces.
- 2012 Established NGS Advanced Fibers Co., Ltd.
- 2016 Foundation of Joint Venture with Kornmeyer Carbongroup in Germany: Nippon Kornmeyer Carbon Group GmbH.
OFFICE & PLANTS NIPPON CARBON CO., LTD
14-1, Kyobashi 2-Chome,
11-22, Nishitenma 4-chome,
(Hanshin Shinmei Bldg.)
23-31, Nishiki 3-chome,
AFFILIATED COMPANIES NIPPON CARBON GROUP
Nippon Techno-Carbon Co., Ltd.
Nippon Kornmeyer Carbon Group GmbH
Im Nassen 3,
Tohoku Techno-Carbon Co., Ltd.
Keihan Tanso Kogyo Co., Ltd.
Kyushu Tanso Kogyo Co., Ltd.
1-10 Yurigaoka 3-chome, Umimachi,
Nippon Carbon Engineering Co., Ltd.
NGS Advanced Fibers Co., Ltd.
Central Carbon Co., Ltd.
11F No150 Chang An West Rd,
Toho Tanso Kogyo Co., Ltd.
Nikka-en Co., Ltd.